Friday, June 17, 2011

Lima Beans Curry


The previous day, the long forgotten Lima Beans were discovered by my husband and he asked me what I am going do with it, he also gave a hint that it goes well with Chapathis which meant I had to make Chapathis for lunch with Lima Beans sabzi.. And there started my experiment with Lima Beans. They are very good sources of "fat-free" protein so I was encouraged to try them out. Here goes the recipe I used for making Lima Beans Sabzi..

Preparation time:10 mins
Makes 6 servings
Cooking time: 30 mins

Ingredients:

Lima Beans - 1 1/2 cups (soaked overnight)
Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
Green Chili - 1 (finely chopped)
Ginger Garlic Paste
Tomato Sauce - 1 can
Red Chili Pwdr - 1 tsp
Coriander Pwdr - 1 tsp
Turmeric Pwdr - 1 tsp
Garam Masala Pwdr - 1 tsp
Salt - As required
Water - 1 cup
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Oil - As required

Procedure :
1.Heat oil in a pressure cooker on medium heat.
2.Add the Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds once the oil is hot enough.
3.Add the onions and saute till it becomes light brown.
4.Next, add the ginger garlic paste, green chili and saute for sometime.
5.Now stir in the tomato sauce and saute that too.
6.The powders (chili, turmeric, coriander, garam masala) and salt need to be added now and mixed.
7.Now, lastly add the Lima Beans to this and mix it well.
8.Add enough water to this and pressure cook this completely for 2 whistles.
9.Chop coriander and garnish the sabzi.
As I had mentioned before, I had made chapathis which went very well along with this. We had some leftover for the night too and I had made rice. So you can have it with either rice/chapathi.

Tips : Make sure you don't add too much water, it is added only for cooking of the beans and so just 1 cup should do for 1 1/2 cups of the beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment